I am an integrative trained counsellor, psychotherapist, clinical supervisor and EMDR clinician based in central Manchester, both UK registered and an accredited member of the BACP. I have a passionate belief in the human capacity for change, and I am therefore committed to using my skills, training, knowledge and experience to support those who seek my services in assisting them to do so.
My core training is integrative, meaning that I draw on a broad range of theoretical approaches, ways of working and types of interventions to assist clients with whatever it is they’re struggling with, while my initial integrative training provides a type of theoretical framework that enables me to integrate these together safety and effectively. I deliberately chose to train in an integrated approach because I believed back then in 2008, and still do, that this allows me the freedom and flexibility required to remain open, responsive and fundamentally informed by the needs of the clients I work with, whilst co-creating a treatment approach with them that is as unique as they are. I have since trained in other types of therapy and intervention over the last ten years, which increase my ability to assist clients in more creative ways, and enhance this flexibility. I passionately believe that we are all individual and different, and so it’s important for me as a therapist, that I’m able to work in ways that acknowledge and nurture that difference while ultimately respecting the very essence of what makes us everything we are.
I currently work from a comfortable, accessible and welcoming clinical room on Portland Street in Central Manchester (see fig 1.) which is literally minutes away from public transport stations/stops. I offer appointments on the following days/times:
Mon – 6pm to 8pm
Tues -6pm to 8pm
Fri – 6pm to 8pm
Sat – 12pm to 4pm
I also offer counselling and psychotherapy sessions via telephone and Vsee, and working this way generates considerably more flexibility regarding days/times, so if this interests you please contact me to discuss your individual needs in more detail.
I work within a sliding scale dependant upon a range of factors, such as individual circumstances and the nature of the work involved:
Therapy Face to Face : £65 to £80 per 50 minute session
Therapy via Telephone/Vsee: £60 per 50 minute session
Theoretical approach & philosophy
I work with adults, young people, couples and families, and have clinical experience of working with a range of complex presenting issues and difficulties. This means that I am extremely confident in my ability to meet your treatment needs, to assist you in reaching your desired outcomes and creating your own meaning. I believe that each individual is unique, and therefore my integrative training enables me to be responsive to your individual needs and develop a bespoke treatment approach tailored with you and specifically for you.
Treatment of Common Mental Health Problems
I initially trained as counsellor, completing my clinical training placement at an NHS Primary Care Mental Health Team in North Manchester. This provided me with my earliest encounters of working directly with patients struggling with symptoms of anxiety and depression. Since then I have amassed considerable experience offering evidence based treatments and intervention for these types of issues, with effective results and positive treatment outcomes.
Specialist knowledge & experience:
In addition to my private practice work I also work part-time as a clinical supervisor for a well known, award winning UK registered charity, supervising the clinical case work of other therapists. My previous two full-time clinical roles have involved leading specialist teams within the field of sexualised trauma. Therefore I Have extensive experience of working with male, female and transgender clients who have experienced sexual abuse and/or rape whether historical or current. I am clinically experienced in working with complex trauma presentations and symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), as well the associated psycho-sexual issues, and co-existing symptoms and/or disorders that may develop, including:
- Anxiety disorders
- Relationship issues
- Developmental trauma
- Relational trauma
- Drug and alcohol issues
- Psycho-sexual issues
- Intrusive thoughts
- Self-harming/destructive cycles of behaviour
- Sex addiction/pornography addiction
- Attachment disorders
I also work privately as a forensic psychotherapist working clinically with sex offenders within my private practice ,as I believe that offering specialist treatment with this population not only assists with the management and reduction of risk, but also contributes to an ultimate aim of reducing the prevalence of sexual violence.
Training & skill set:
Psychological Trauma: In addition to my integrative 'core training' I am also trained in cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), and eye movement desensitisation reprocessing (EMDR), both of which are the recommended treatments for trauma and PTSD, by the World Health Organisation (WHO) and the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE).
Childhood/Developmental Trauma: I have many years experience of working with adult survivors of childhood trauma and adversity. This may involve a range of adverse experiences, that can often lead to chronic symptoms and difficulties throughout the lifespan until the initial traumatic experiences themselves are processed, to assist with healing and recovery. Research evidence indicates that psychotherapy treatment can help significantly, and in addition to my extensive experience within the field I am trained in evidence based treatments and types of intervention that can assist with this type of work, such as EMDR, Trauma Focused CBT (TFCBT), mindfulness and emotional freedom techniques (EFT).
Couples & Relationships: I have a qualification and extensive experience in working with both couples and families experiencing relationship issues, and facilitating a safe therapeutic space collaboratively with couples, that is conducive to exploring relational and/or communication issues that may be harming their relationships.
Addiction & Dependency: Having worked in drug & alcohol services for many years I am also skilled and experienced in working with addiction/dependency issues, and destructive and harmful cycles of behaviour.
Qualifications, Training and Experience
- MSc in Therapeutic Practice of Psychological Trauma (Currently Studying)
- Emotional Freedom Techniques - Level 1
- EMDR Psychotherapy Part 3
- EMDR Psychotherapy Part 2
- EMDR Psychotherapy Part 1
- Certificate in Couples & Relationship Therapy
- BPS Accredited Supervisor Training
- PG Certificate in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- PG Diploma in Theory and Practice of Integrative Counselling
- BSc (Hons) Psychology & Counselling
- Certificates in Counselling Skills (1&2)
- The Adult Attachment Interview in Practice
- Compassion Fatigue & Vicarious Trauma
- Mindfulness and Compassion Focused Approaches to Trauma
- Trauma Focused CBT
- The Inner Child in Counselling & Psychotherapy
- Harmful Sexual Behaviour in Male Adolescents: Risk & Intervention
- Responding to Psychological Trauma: Therapeutic Perspectives
- EMDR with Pain, Depression and Adults Abused as Children
- Cognitive Therapy in Adversity
- EMDR with Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse
- Dealing with Shame
- Healing Complex Trauma & Dissociation with Ego State Therapy
- Workshop in Running Mindfulness Groups
- CBT for Personality Disorders
- CBT for Eating Disorders
- Working with Relational Trauma
- Attachment Theory - Above and Beyond
- IAPT PWP Supervisors Training
- International Treatment Effectiveness Project (ITEP) Mapping
- Boys are Sexually Exploited Too
- Motivational Interviewing (MI)
- People Pins & Prevention - Safer Injecting Awareness
- Cocaine Nation
- Real Love Rocks: CSE awareness & Train the Trainer
- "Out of It" - Young People & Drugs
- Legal Highs
- Safer Online - Children & Young People
- Criminal Justice Awareness Training
- Awareness of Child Abuse & Neglect
- Safeguarding Adults
- An Awareness of Domestic Violence Including The Impact On Children & Young People
- Clinical Supervisor - The Beacon Centre
- Counsellor & Psychotherapist in Private Practice
- Specialist Psychotherapist - Stop Sex Offending (STOPSO)
- Specialist Psychotherapist - Positive Outcomes for Dissociative Survivors (PODS)
- Project Lead & Trauma Focused Psychotherapist (The Change Project)
- Clinical Lead & Trauma Focused Psychotherapist (Survivors Manchester)
- Specialist Children & Young People's Drug & Alcohol Practitioner -SMART Team/Lifeline
- Volunteer Psychotherapist - LGBT Foundation
- Therapist & Consultant - Tree Tops Counselling Service
- Trainee Integrative Counsellor - NHS Primary Care Mental Health team
For all enquiries contact us today!