The ICNM is a registered charity with two main functions:
- To inform the public about Complementary and Natural Medicine (CAM).
- The ICNM administers the British Register of Complementary Practitioners (BRCP), a multi-disciplinary register of professional practitioners and therapists.
|CONTACT INFORMATION |
|Phone||020 7237 5165|
- The ICNM (Charity no. 1123644) provides the public with information about the safe and appropriate choice of Complementary Medicine. The ICNM promotes and supports Best Practice for all practitioners and therapists who work within Complementary Medicine.
- The ICNM offers a search facility for the public to access practitioners and therapists who are members of the British Register of Complementary Practitioners (BRCP).
- The ICNM recognises CAM practitioners make a complementary diagnosis (as distinct from a medical diagnosis). This allows the practitioner to suggest treatment that is appropriate for the particular client/patient.
- The ICNM actively supports the regulatory process for CAM. At present, the ICNM is assisting several Working Groups that are considering both Statutory and Voluntary Self-Regulation.
- The ICNM also administers the BRCP which was established in 1989 and is one of the longest-running registers for CAM practitioners. The national Register is made up of discipline Divisions. Each Division has Advisors with relevant clinical expertise who support the BRCP Registrar with membership applications, course accreditation and research enquiries.
- The ICNM offers a career structure for its BRCP members from Therapist to Practitioner to Senior Practitioner.
- The ICNM is actively engaged in the development of training standards. To this end, it accredits CAM Training Courses and this takes place through two stages: Affiliation and Accreditation. With around 30 Advisors across the disciplines, the ICNM works with training organisations at each stage of the process, clarifying the syllabus, learning outcomes and student progress, to the point of full Accreditation.
- We provide an information service to schools and Careers Libraries in the UK as required.