Preparing for a Detox
For whatever reason, whether it is to lose weight, feel well again or just improve your overall vitality, you have decided to follow a detox diet. Before you start and to ensure its success, a little planning beforehand can go a long way and help you get the most out of your detox.
1. Clean Out Your kitchen
Food preparation is key to a successful detox and it is a good idea to clear your fridge and pantry out before you start your detox. Depending on what kind of detox you choose to follow, items you may want to get bin of include:
- Milk and cheese products.
- Soy products
- Red meat products
- Refined sugars & any processed foods.
- Wheat products.
- Products containing high amounts of yeast, and colour, artificial flavours and preservatives.
Instead, make sure to stock up on:
- Herbal teas
- Fresh fruit and vegetables (preferably organic)
- Fresh fish and organic chicken.
- Seeds and nuts.
- Yogurt (containing live cultures).
- Almond/Rice/Oat Milk.
- Grains such as Millet, Chia, Rye and Quinoa.
- Herbs and spices such as garlic, ginger, mint and turmeric
2. Prepare for a Change in Eating Patterns
Many people think its ok to just decide to do a detox and start the next day. Unfortunately they don’t usually last for the entirety of the program as they were mentally and physically ill prepared for the change their body was going to go thru.
It is advisable to plan your detox two weeks ahead. Over the two week period, you should consider:
- Simplify the variety and amount of foods you are consuming slowly.
- Slowly cutting down your daily caffeine intake.
- Reduce the amount of alcohol consumed.
- Eating dinner at least three hours before bedtime.
- Increase your water intake.
- Avoid binging excessively on treats that you justify because you are about to start the detox.
3. Consider a Colonic
For the dedicated detoxifiers, it is recommended to undergo Colon Hydrotherapy, commonly known as a Colonic, before beginning your detox program. If one tries to detox the liver, lymph or blood with addressing a waste-filled bowel, the detox will never succeed, as the toxins will only recycle back into the body. The elimination of old waste from the walls of the colon will keep your digestive system free of mucoid plaque, ensuring the fresh food of your detox diet is processed and absorbed ensuring maximum rejuvenation and peak vitality.
4. Plan Ahead for “Me Time"
Plan to have some time to yourself when detoxing. You may like to book a facial, buy a new book or enroll into a class of something you have always wanted to do.
Journaling is also useful in the detox process. Note down what you eat and drink, how you feel afterwards, and what emotions come to surface as the toxins are eliminated from your system.
5. Let Others Know
It is always a good idea to let your family and friends know you plan to do a detox before you actually do. This will give them the opportunity to answer any questions they may have (as many won’t understand your motives) and will also allow for them to plan around you for social functions such as parties and dinners.
Printer Friendly Version
Related Modalities Dietitian Nutrition