Natural Health Treatments for Fungal Infections
Natural health treatments for fungal infections of the skin are a safe and effective way of getting rid of these afflictions. Fungi are a natural part of our body, and typically occur on our skin, which is their primary food source. Some fungi change in nature and can develop into unpleasant infections of the skin. Fungi require a few basic conditions to thrive, specifically a warm, dark and moist environment. This is why conditions such as athlete’s foot - which is caused by a fungus - flourish in carriers who wear socks with shoes that do not allow the feet to breathe adequately. Some fungal infections such as ringworm are contagious, and can be transferred from animals such as pets. To clear this infection, both the patient and pet must typically be treated. Children often get fungal infections as they are more likely to share items such as towels and hairbrushes, which carry the fungal spores and infect a new carrier. This is also true for bathrooms, where fungi find an almost ideal environment with moisture, warmth and dark recesses to sustain them.
Natural Health Treatments
There are a number of natural remedies for combating fungal infections, including:
- Having regular baths
- Airing your feet regularly
- Wearing loose underwear that allows your groin to breathe
- Cotton underwear is healthier than synthetics
- Dry your body thoroughly after a shower or bath
In addition there are natural herbs and herbal medicines which can be useful, including topical applications of aloe vera, caster bean oil and tea tree oil.
Common Fungal Infections
Some common fungal infections of the skin include:
- Athlete's foot – a large percentage of the adult population will experience this fungal infection at some point in their lives
- Jock itch – a fungal infection that mainly affects the male population
- Ringworm or tinea – this is not caused by a worm, but rather a fungus that feeds on the epidermal layer of the skin
- Candida – an infection of the vagina that occurs when the acidic balance is upset allowing the yeast to flourish
Common symptoms of a fungal infection
Some common symptoms of a fungal infection on your body may be:
- Pain (genitals); and
- Discolouration (toenails)
Find a herbal medicine practitioner in your local area to help treat your fungal infection.
Printer Friendly Version
Related Modalities Herbal Medicine