Natural Hangover Cures
It’s the holiday season, and that usually means parties galore as friends and family get together to celebrate. However, what do you do if you celebrate too much and you end up with the dreaded hangover the next day? Well, the good news is that there are ways to prevent the hangover in the first place and, if you do get struck down with one, there are ways to help it pass a lot faster, so you don’t miss out on too much holiday fun!
What to Do Before You Start Drinking
There are some steps that you can take before you start drinking that will help to reduce the likelihood of suffering a hangover the next day. These include:
- Take a Berocca before the drinking starts. This will get more vitamin B into your system and give you a reserve for later on.
- Prickly pear extract can help to alleviate the symptoms of a severe hangover. It is best to take it about five hours before you start drinking.
- Milk thistle protects the liver cells from alcohol by preventing toxins from entering them and helps to remove existing toxins. Take two capsules before drinking begins.
- Drink plenty of water before and during drinking alcohol. It helps to flush out the liver.
- Have a good meal. The food won’t absorb the alcohol but it will increase your metabolism and speed up your body’s processes, enabling it to deal with the alcohol more quickly.
Tips for Getting Rid of the Hangover
So you have a hangover, despite your best methods of prevention. Here are some things that can help get rid of it faster:
- Olive oil – acts as a liver and gallbladder flush. It is such an effective flush; it is even capable of dissolving gallbladder stones.
- Raw egg – while this probably doesn’t sound very appealing, the raw egg contains an amino acid called N-acetyl- cysteine, one of the building blocks of glutathione, a substance that clears out toxins from the body.
- Feverfew – can help with the headache, and it will not irritate the stomach like traditional anti-inflammatory drugs can.
- Ginger – can help with any nausea that you feel.
- Water – to rehydrate the body as alcohol is very dehydrating. It also flushes toxins from the body.
- B vitamins – alcohol drains your body of B vitamins and these need to be replaced. They help in the metabolisation of alcohol, dilate blood vessels, and increase your energy levels.
- Zinc – helps your body to make alcohol dehydrogenase, an enzyme that you need to metabolise alcohol.
- Activated charcoal – taking one tablet of activated charcoal while you are drinking is helpful as charcoal absorbs the impurities in the alcohol, which is the cause of the hangover.
- Bananas – are rich in potassium and magnesium, both of which are depleted when you drink.
- Tomato juice – contains fructose, a type of sugar that helps your body to metabolise alcohol more quickly.
- Vitamin C – stimulates the liver to break down alcohol.
- Persimmon – raw persimmons can help with a headache.
- Peppermint – relaxes the intestines, and it can remove accumulated gas from the stomach and intestines.
Printer Friendly Version