4 Tips to Protect You From Dry Skin.
4 tips to protect you from dry skin.
Good skin care and healthy lifestyle choices can help delay the natural ageing process. Here are some healthy skin care tips:
Protect yourself from the sun.
One of the most important ways in which to protect your skin is through minimal sun exposure. A lifetime of sun exposure is damaging to your skin and can cause wrinkles and age spots. You may also be at a higher risk of skin cancer with long term sun exposure.
For the most complete sun protection:
- Use sunscreen. You can use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15. It is important to apply sunscreen generously before you get into the sun and reapply every two hours. If you are perspiring or swimming, reapply more often.
- Seek shade. The sun’s rays are the strongest between 10am and 4pm, so this would be the time to avoid the sun.
- Wear sun hat. To protect your head and face, it is best to wear a wide brimmed hat.
Give up the cigarettes.
Smoking makes your skin look older and contributes to wrinkles. Smoking narrows the tiny blood vessels in the outermost layers of skin, this decreases blood flow and can make your skin appear paler. Smoking also depletes the skin of oxygen and nutrients that are important to skin health such as vitamin A.
Smoking damages collagen and elastin and contributes to wrinkles.
Eat a healthy diet.
A healthy diet can help you look and feel your best, therefore it is important to eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fish oils and lean proteins. Drinking plenty of water helps keep your skin hydrated.
Treat your skin gently.
Daily cleansing and shaving can take a toll on your skin. To keep it gentle:
- Limit bath time. Hot water and long showers or baths removes the natural oils from your skin.
- Avoid strong soaps. Strong soaps and detergents also can strip the natural oils from your skin. Instead, choose more natural and milk cleansers.
- Moisturize dry skin. Consider using a moisturizer that fits your skin type. For daily use, it is a good idea to choose a moisturizer that contains SPF.
Printer Friendly Version
Related Modalities Beauty Therapy (Holistic)