Annette Greenfield is a Medical Herbalist with a BSc honours degree in Herbal Medicine. She practises in her home town of Linlithgow and also in Kirkcaldy.
She is a Member of the National Institute of Medical Herbalists (MNIMH), established in 1864, which is the main governing body of herbal healthcare in the UK and only accepts membership from herbalists trained to this high standard.
What is Herbal Medicine?
Herbal medicine is the oldest form of medicine known and is still the most widely practised system of medicine worldwide. Traditional herbal medicine in the UK today applies modern scientific research and the highest professional standards to provide an effective and safe service to patients seeking a natural approach to their healthcare. The main difference between traditional herbal medicines and orthodox medicines is that traditional herbal medicines are based on whole-plants as they are found in nature, rather than on single chemical ingredients synthesised in a laboratory.
Herbal medicine is used mainly to help the body help itself and focuses on the whole person not just the illness. At Greenfield Herbalists we have the necessary training and experience to best assess your individual needs and provide a unique combination of herbs tailored to your particular requirements. Above all, the underlying cause of your health problem is sought and, once identified, it is this which we treat rather than your symptoms alone.
HOW LONG WILL I HAVE TO TAKE THE MEDICINE?
This varies from patient to patient and depends very much on your general state of health and nature of the condition/s you wish to have treated. An acute illness for example can usually be treated in a week or two, whereas a long-standing chronic complaint is likely to take longer. Generally speaking, the longer you have been feeling unwell, the longer it will take to restore your health. Most people report feeling the benefit of the herbs fairly quickly.
What can it help with?
Herbal medicine can treat many conditions and is suitable for all ages from babies to elderly people.
Common complaints seen at Greenfield Herbalists include:
- Recurring viral, bacterial and fungal infections
- Skin conditions such as eczema, acne, psoriasis, dermatitis, acne rosacea, heat rash, itchy skin, allergic reactions, fungal infections, molluscum and warts.
- Asthma, hay fever, bronchitis, sinusitis, coughs, colds, headaches and migraine
- Female conditions such as menstrual disturbances, heavy, painful or irregular periods; PMT, menopausal symptoms such as hot flushes and irritability; infertility, polycystic ovary syndrome, fibroids, endometriosis.
- Male conditions such as prostate problems and reduced vitality.
- Children’s complaints such as eczema, asthma, colic, molluscum, glue ear, bed wetting, tummy upsets, coughs, colds, sore throats, lethargy and recurring infections.
- Stress, anxiety, depression, panic attacks and sleep disturbances
- Exhaustion, chronic fatigue syndrome and M.E.
- Indigestion, ulcers, colitis, diarrhoea, constipation, IBS and bad breath
- Arthritis, gout, muscle and joint pain
- High blood pressure, angina and varicose veins
Herbal medicine is also very helpful as a tonic, either as a preventative against disease, or in convalescence after major illness.
Many other health conditions, not listed here, can also be treated with herbal medicine. If you are unsure about whether or not herbal medicine could help you, please contact Annette Greenfield for an informal, no obligation chat to help you decide.
Allergy Testing / Treatments, Herbalists, Mens Health, Natural Fertility Management, Womens Health